Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fridge Magnet Notebook Tutorial

I had this idea a few months back and stored it in the back of my mind to make for Christmas presents for two of my sisters and my sister-in-law.  So I thought I'd put a tutorial up incase anyone else wants to make a frugal Christmas present for a loved one.

The supplies you will need are:
3 small notebooks
1 A4 sheet of thin wooden board. I used a decoupage blank I found in the craft store.
Scrapbook paper. You could also use a photo or a little picture your children drew or painted, this will be a perfect option if this gift is intended for doting grandparents.
2 pencils
Embellishments of your choice


You will also need one of those plastic book binders you get at the print shops. A size that your pencil will comfortably fit into. 


And a magnet sheet...


Now on to the crafty goodness... take your wooden sheet and cut it into 3 equal pieces.  I asked my Dad to do this on his rotary cutting machine.  Sand the edges with sand paper until smooth.


Take you pencils and with a scissors make a groove then snap it into two...


Sand the ends to make it smooth.  Now you have 4 small pencils out of 2 large ones...


Cut your coordinating scrapbook paper, photo or art into squares to fit the top of your piece of board...


Cut your book binder into sections of three...


Now on to the gluing.  Heat up your glue gun and get rid of the kids i.e. put them in the room with play dough while you work with the glue gun on the kitchen counter far away from little hands.  Glue the notebooks to the bottom half of your wooden sheets...


Then glue your scrapbook paper squares onto the top half...


Now glue on the sections of book binder (this is to hold your little pencil)...


Embellish your scrapbook square as much or as little as you like...


Then take a moment to admire the beauty of your embellishments... 


Lastly glue on your strips of magnet...


And you're done...


For the gift tags I used little window cards...


and glued in little squares that I embellished with beads...


And made three of them for the three gifts...


Now all that's left to do is to wrap and admire your handy work...


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.  Have fun.

I linked this up to...




and...



1 comment: